Another favourite holiday staple, this recipe actually inspired one of our most popular raincoast Crisp flavours. It’s very West Coast – we see fields of cranberries being harvested every Fall, and not too far into the Fraser Valley there are miles of hazelnut orchards. If you’re a fan of sausage in your stuffing, simply add 1 lb (500 g) of your favourite sausage meat, cooked, drained and crumbled, before adding the stock.
- 4 tbsp (60 mL) butter
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 1 cup (250 mL) hazelnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) sun-dried cranberries
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp (5 mL) finely chopped fresh sage
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 lb (500 g) focaccia bread, cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) cubes
- 3 cups (375 mL) chicken stock (approx.)
In a heavy sauté pan over medium heat, melt the butter; sauté the onions until softened. Stir in the hazelnuts, cranberries, rosemary, thyme, parsley and sage; season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the bread cubes. Pour in enough stock, 1/2 cup (125 mL) at a time, to just moisten bread.
Stuff into the cavity of the turkey before roasting. Or, if you wish to serve it as a side dish, transfer to a casserole dish and bake in 375°F (190°C) oven for 30 to 45 minutes.