- 3/4 cup (185 mL) yellow cornmeal
- 6 Tbsp. (90 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) sea salt
- 2 large eggs, beaten slightly
- 3/4 cup (185 mL) buttermilk
- 6 Tbsp (90 mL) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup (250 mL) frozen corn
- 4 Tbsp. (60 mL) finely chopped fresh chives
- 4 jalapeño peppers chopped fine
- 4 ounces finely chopped smoked salmon (about 1/3 cup (82 mL))
- 4 Tbsp (60 mL) vegetable oil
- chopped red onion, creme fraiche, and fresh parsley or cilantro to garnish
In a small bowl whisk together cornmeal, flour, baking soda, and salt. In a bowl whisk together egg, buttermilk, and cream cheese. Chop half of the corn coarsely and stir into the buttermilk mixture with the remaining corn, chives, peppers, salmon, and cornmeal mixture until just combined.
In a large non-stick skillet heat oil over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking. Working in batches, drop batter by 1/4 cup (62 mL) cup measures into the skillet. Spread batter slightly to form 3 1/2 – 4 inch cakes and cook for 2 – 3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown and cooked through. Transfer corn cakes to a heatproof platter and keep warm in low oven.
Serve corn cakes with creme fraiche, chopped red onion and fresh cilantro or parsley.
you may enjoy these too:
- Cranberry Christmas Granola
- olive and fig tapenade
- Brandied Eggnog Cookies
- New Potatoes with Caramelized Onions, Golden Raisins, & Pinenuts
- mulled winter nuts