When summertime hits, playgrounds come to life, beaches fill up, and barbeques all across the nation get rolled out for feasts and fetes. The next time you plan to fire up the grill why not try something a little different than your regular steaks or hamburgers? Pulled pork can seem a daunting dish, but other than the extended cooking time, nothing could be simpler – and the results are well worth the wait! Melt in your mouth, full, complex flavours will make this a new family favourite. Serve these up in mini for one-bite snack sized goodness, or go whole hog with full sized buns, side salad, corn on the cob, and tangy slaw for a delicious full-meal deal.
For dry rub:
- 3 Tbps (45 mL) coarsely ground black pepper
- 3 Tbps (45 mL) packed dark brown sugar
- 3 Tbps (45 mL) paprika
- 2 Tbps (30 mL) coarse salt
- 1 Tsp (5 mL) cayenne pepper
- 2 untrimmed boneless pork shoulder halves (also known as Boston butt - about 6 pounds Total)
- 1 cup (250 mL) apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) water
- 2 Tbps (30 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbps (15 mL) coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 Tbps (15 mL) coarse salt
- 2 tsp (10 mL) vegetable oil
- 12 soft hamburger buns with seeds, split
- Carolina Red Barbecue Sauce
- Tangy Coleslaw
Make dry rub:
Mix first 5 ingredients in small bowl to blend.
Place pork, fat side up, on work surface. Cut each piece lengthwise in half. Place on large baking sheet. Sprinkle dry rub all over pork; press into the meat, cover with plastic and refrigerate at least 2 hours. Can be made 1 day ahead. Keep chilled.
Mix first 6 ingredients in medium bowl. Cover and refrigerate.
Heat smoker or BBQ to 250 F. Place pork on rack in smoker or BBQ, cover with foil and cook until internal temperature of meat reads 165 F. when thermometer is installed into the centre. Brush with cold mop every 45 minutes until cooking is complete – approx. 6 hours in total.
Serve on soft buns topped with tangy slaw. Enjoy!
you may enjoy these too:
- Bring the outdoors in for Christmas
- Cranberry Christmas Granola
- olive and fig tapenade
- Brandied Eggnog Cookies
- New Potatoes with Caramelized Onions, Golden Raisins, & Pinenuts