Summer means salads! And salads with seafood…even better! This slaw whips up in seconds and is perfect for summer-time buffets or as a quick side to jazz up a simply grilled salmon or chicken. This keeps in the fridge for several days, and you can even add fresh cabbage to it if you have sufficient dressing left in the bottom of the bowl.
- one-half head of savoy green cabbage, shredded
- 3 green onions, finely chopped
- half a bunch of cilantro, chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, julienned
- 1 cup peeled baby shrimp
- 1 Tbsp. grated fresh ginger
- 1 Tbsp. finely chopped candied ginger
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp. toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup Mirin (sweet cooking wine)
- 1 Tbsp. chili paste or hot sauce
- 2 Tbsp. toasted sesame seeds
- juice of 1 lime
In a large bowl, toss together all the salad ingredients. Put the shrimp in a small bowl and mix in the rest of the dressing ingredients. Pour over the salad and mix well. Refrigerate for about an hour before serving. Just before serving, stir in the lime juice and sprinkle in the sesame seeds.