One of life’s greatest pleasures is the smell of fresh baking in a kitchen on a weekend morning. So today, in celebration of the time change and the start of Spring break, we’re giving you one of our most popular recipes. These scones are always a huge hit – sweet and spicy all at the same time! Get the kids to help you whip up a batch really quickly and serve alongside some sweet honey butter*…and another cup of well deserved coffee for that lost hour of sleep!
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 tsp (11 mL) baking powder
- 2 tsp (10 mL) sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) sea salt
- 6 tbsp (90 mL) cold butter, cut into 1/2-inch (1 cm) cubes
- 1/4 lb (125 g) candied ginger, chopped to medium dice
- 1/4 lb (125 g) dried apricots, chopped to medium dice
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds (optional)
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) buttermilk
- 1 egg, beaten
Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Lightly butter a cookie sheet, or line it with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Using fingers, work in the butter until the mixture is the texture of coarse sand. Toss in the ginger and dried apricots. Pour in the buttermilk and stir until just combined.
Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured work surface. Roll out to 1-inch (2.5 cm) thickness. Cut out 2-inch (5 cm) rounds. Place scones on the prepared cookie sheet; brush tops with beaten egg and sprinkle sliced almonds. Bake until slightly golden, 10 to 12 minutes.
*Honey Butter: whip a tablespoon of good honey into 2 tablespoons of unsalted softened butter. Enjoy!