Finally! Asparagus, the jewel of Spring time vegetables, is once again making an appearance in our local markets and grocery stores. Of course, with global food transport it’s possible to get it all year round now, but nothing compares to the fresh, crisp flavour of asparagus locally grown and picked at the height of the season. This most versatile of veggies can be prepared in countless ways, but we thought we would start out with the most simple (and delicious!) preparation. Grilled just until the colour rises, these spears are best served hot with this cool, rich, creamy dip: a perfect accompaniment to the first BBQs of the season!
Serves 6 – 8
- asparagus spears, ends snapped and cleaned
- 1 cup (250 mL) mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) sour cream
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) grated parmesan
- 1 Tbsp. (15 mL) lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. (15 mL) minced fresh parsley
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 anchovy fillets, minced to a paste
- black pepper to taste
Combine all the ingredients except the asparagus in a bowl and combine until smooth and creamy. Transfer to a serving bowl cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
Heat grill and grill asparagus until bright green and char marks are visible. Serve immediately.