We are so spoiled here on the West Coast: the produce is always fresh and the seafood is always plentiful! We are also lucky enough to live in a uniquely diverse multi-cultural area and thus are exposed to flavours and food combinations from across the globe. This Asian-inspired caesar salad is a fantastic twist on the original Italian classic and the perfect compliment to easy sautéed prawns – at their peak right now in our waters. Great for an easy mid-week dinner or lunch, it also makes a nice light starter course to an early summer main.
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup (62 mL) fresh lime juice
- 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) good quality mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) chopped peeled ginger
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) minced lemongrass
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) fish sauce (nam pla)
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 tsp. (10 mL) chili garlic sauce
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 large head of romaine lettuce, torn into bite size pieces
- 1 cup (250 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 – 4 prawns per person (optional)
Heat a heavy, small skillet over medium low heat. Add sesame seeds and stir until toasted and golden, about 3 minutes. Set aside.
Combine lime juice and next 7 ingredients in a food processor; process until well blended. With processor running, add the vegetable oil in a slow steady stream; process until slightly thickened. Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper.
Place lettuce in a large bowl. Add dressing and 3/4 cup Parmesan; toss to combine. Divide salad among 6 plates; sprinkle with remaining Parmesan and toasted sesame seeds. If serving with prawns**, place 3-4 on top of each serving. Enjoy!
**For prawns: heat a sauté pan to medium high and add a small splash of olive oil. Sauté peeled prawns for 2-3 minutes flipping mid-way. Cook until just pink through – do not overcook.
you may enjoy these too:
- Grilled Beef Ribs with Sweet Dark BBQ Sauce
- Basil and Baby Shrimp Dip
- Cedar-Planked Salmon with Grainy Mustard Glaze
- Halibut Tacos with Lime Cilantro Cream and Mango Salsa
- Rhubarb Crumble with Ginger Rhubarb Gelato