December is here and we are rolling out the first of our holiday entertaining recipes. These little gems are super easy to prepare and absolutely delicious – served cold they are lovely one-bite snack-sized potato salads. Just slice the bottoms off so that they sit flat, hollow them out, add the potato pulp to the rest of the ingredients, give a stir and reassemble. Easy!
- 24 small new potatoes
- 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) sour cream
- 2 yellow onions, sliced thinly
- 2Tbsp. (30 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cups (125 mL) golden raisins, coarsest chopped
- 1/2 cups (125 mL) pinenuts, toasted
Place the potatoes in a large pot of cold, salted water. Bring to a boil and cook for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Drain and cool. Cut off the tops of the potatoes and hollow out each potato with a melon ballet, leaving sturdy walls and reserving potato pulp.
Coarsely mash the potato pulp, fold in the sour cream and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Caramelize onions by placing them in a sauté pan with a little olive oil over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 to 20 minutes or until caramelized. Add the raisins and pinenuts. season to taste with salt and pepper.
Fill potatoes shells halfway with the potato mixture and top with some onion and raisin confit. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
you may enjoy these too:
- Christmas Mandarin Orange Marmalade
- Chestnut, Leek and Pancetta Stuffing
- Shrimp Bruschetta with Red Pepper Aïoli
- Icebreaker Martini
- Bring the outdoors in for Christmas