No Sunday night roast is complete without mashed potatoes! Yukon Golds in particular yield a fabulous buttery texture and golden colour. Add chèvre and heavy cream and you’ll go absolutely over the top with this recipe. For a lighter version with a bit of a tang, replace the heavy cream with buttermilk. I like to keep the rest of the entrée simple; try grilled steak or chicken along with steamed or grilled vegetables drizzled with balsamic vinegar.
Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 3 lb (1.5 kg) Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch (5 cm) chunks
- 4 tbsp (60 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 oz (250 g) soft chèvre, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) heavy cream
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
In a large pot, cover the potatoes with cold water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook, uncovered, until tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
Drain very well. Purée the potatoes while still piping hot by passing them through a ricer. Mix in the oil and chèvre. Beat in the cream. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve immediately.