For the special holiday meal, try using a ham that’s already cooked; it certainly makes life easier. Simply stuff the ham, baste with the glaze and bake until it’s warmed through. There may be instructions for heating the ham on the wrapper, but bear in mind that with stuffing it takes longer to heat. If you’re baking an 8 to 10-lb (4to5kg) ham, plan on about one hour at 350°F (180°C) to heat the meat and stuffing.
Makes 18 servings
- 1 precooked boneless leg of ham, 8 to 10 lb (4 to 5 kg)
- Winter Fruit Stuffing
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) red wine
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) bourbon
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) packed brown sugar
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) grainy mustard
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely grated orange peel
- 6 cloves
Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
Bourbon Glaze: In a saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the wine, bourbon, sugar, mustard, orange peel and cloves; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until reduced by half. Remove from heat and let cool.
Slather the ham with the glaze. Bake for 1 hour, basting after 30 minutes and again 10 minutes before removing from oven.
you may enjoy these too:
- Cranberry Christmas Granola
- olive and fig tapenade
- Brandied Eggnog Cookies
- New Potatoes with Caramelized Onions, Golden Raisins, & Pinenuts
- mulled winter nuts