Blueberries are back! And who doesn’t love them? Perfect bites of juicy, anti-oxidant filled goodness – and one of the most versatile berries around. Blissfully baked into sweet confections for dessert, or jazzed up with lime and jalapeño for a savoury snack, they are a great ingredient in many of our summertime dishes. This salad should come with a warning…it is incredibly addictive and I promise it will become an instant favourite. Serve it alongside burgers, salmon, joints of meat or simply alone with an addition of chickpeas for vegetarian protein punch – this delish concoction will suit them all.
- 6 ears of sweet corn,
- 1 cup (250 mL) fresh blueberries
- 4 baby cucumbers, cut into bite size quarters
- 2 large avocado cut in chunks
- 1/4 of a finely chopped large red onion
- 1/4 cup (62 mL) chopped fresh cilantro
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) lime juice
- 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. (15 mL) honey
- 1/2 tsp. (2.5 mL) ground cumin
Fresh cooked corn, cut of the cobb is ideal but 2 cups of frozen sweet corn is a good substitute. Place corn, blueberries and chopped cucumber in a bowl. Finely slice red onion and add to bowl. Chop coriander and add to fruit and vegetable mixture. Gently add in the avocado. Season with sea salt and pepper.
In a separate container with a lid (an old jar so that you are reusing) add the chopped Jalapeno, lime juice, olive oil, honey and cumin. Shake well until emulsified and pour over the salad. Let sit for ½ hour before serving.